Pray For Barack Obama

prayforbarackobama.blogspot.com is a non-denominational ministry dedicated to lifting up President Barack H. Obama, his family, his cabinet and staffs in Prayer as they serve the USA (and the world).

Sunday, November 9, 2008

First They Came


By R. Bisson

Remember, it was on November 9,1938 know as "The Night of Broken Glass". Chancellor Angela Merkel (pictured on the left) has stressed that it is not enough to remember the events of November 9, 1938 through memorials and ceremonies but "we must always think how it was that it could come to this singular event, the Holocaust."

With the election of Barack Obama, we have come a step closer to insure that something like the Holocaust will not happen again, BUT only if we remember that once it did happen.

Friedrich Gustav Emil Martin Niemöller
(14 January 1892 - 6 March 1984) explains the idea beautifully in his poem "First They Came":

When the Nazis came for the communists,
I remained silent;
I was not a communist.

When they locked up the social democrats,
I remained silent;
I was not a social democrat.

When they came for the trade unionists,
I did not speak out;
I was not a trade unionist.

When they came for the Jews,
I remained silent;
I was not a Jew.

When they came for me,
there was no one left to speak out.






No comments:

-----------------------------------------------------------------
FOR OLDER POSTS, CLICK ABOVE
-----------------------------------------------------------------
“The only thing we have to fear is fear itself.”- Franklin D. Roosevelt, elected president in 1932.